Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ich koche.


  • So I'm eager to have my boyfriend revamp the style of this page since I seem to be incapable of playing with templates. Till then, your eyes will have to burn with aesthetic hostility.
  • Tonight is my first post for VEGAN MOFO.
  • The exclamation point on my keyboard isn't working, it's not that I lack enthusiasm.

Alright, on to the food:
So I really like simple and fast recipes that allow for a lot of substitution. This pasta dish is all of that, it's really more a blueprint than a recipe.

You'll need:
-Vegan Pasta
-A handful of a pasta-compatible veggies
-A tablespoon of fresh basil or a half a tablespoon of dried basil
-A pinch of thyme
-A tablespoon or more of fresh oregano, chopped. Or a teaspoon of dried oregano (dried oregano can be really chalky so don't use too much)
-At least two cloves of garlic
-Vegan butter: Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light

Chop a handful of any veggies you want: eggplant, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, tomatoes, peppers.
Chop at least two cloves of garlic.

Basically cook any (I used spaghetti) pasta in a pot and turn off the heat when it's just about al dente. I like to turn off the heat when it's at a consistency right before I'd like to eat. It should be still a little hard. Let it sit and finish cooking in the water. Drain it in a minute or two to completely stop the cooking.

Sautee the garlic in some olive oil in a medium/large skillet (You'll be adding the pasta so pick a pan that'll have enough room for it).
When the garlic is fragrant and starting to brown add the basil, oregano and thyme (if desired) . If you want to add some black pepper now is the time.

Once they smell delicious take a big ole' spoonful of vegan butter and slop it onto the pan. Lower the heat and add your veggies. I just did baby bellas this time. If you're cooking one or more of the others you'll want to do them in this order;
  • Shrooms
  • Eggplants
  • Peppers
  • Asparagus
  • Broccoli
  • Spinach
  • Tomatoes

If you like your tomatoes runny then go ahead and add them earlier but I like to have them merely warm and still recognizable, so I add them last. If you add them early in the cooking process they'll add a lot of moisture to the mix as will spinach so don't add too much butter later.

Throw in the pasta, toss and cook for about 5 minutes (stirring all the while). Add some more vegan butter if it's looking dry.

Put it on a plate, smother it in nooch (I like to sing "I make it rain, I make it rain, I make it rain on them hoes" as I do this) and dash with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment