Tuesday, October 27, 2009

(Soymilk, pumpkin spiced vodka and pumpkin liquer...oi)

So my best friend had a Harry Potter Halloween party last Saturday. I decided to make cupcakes and ended up making raw chocolate truffles as well (in a move of solidarity towards my boyfriend who's trying to eat more raw).

So I blended half a banana, a cup of dates, a half a cup of coconut oil and added them to a cup of cocoa powder in a bowl along with 3/4 a cup of processor-chopped almonds and a fourth a cup of walnuts. I added several tablespoons of agave nectar too. Then I rolled them into balls in more ground almonds and let them set in the fridge.

Those measurements are an estimate so I would just keep mixing things till it resembles a thick goop that'll be just malleable enough to make balls.


Then I made cupcakes from a box recipe using one and half bananas (three eggs worth, basically) and a tbs. of ener-g egg replacer mixed into the dry mix before I mixed the wet ingredients. Also, for the 3/4 cup of water (or whatever the box mix calls for) I used vanilla chai tea.



Just as I was settlingdown my friend sent me a text "Can you bring an appetizer?"
I peeled the skin off a yam I had half-baked earlier, thinly diced an apple and threw them into a frying pan with some earth balance, a drizzle of agave, a dash of nutmeg, a dash of cinnamon and a touch of ground cardamom.
I took some spring roll papers I had and dipped them in a bowl of hot water. I put a meatball amount of the yam-apple stuff into the middle and rolled them up. My boyfriend and I experimented a little with the shapes.

Then I made an impromptu dipping sauce out of half a cup of coconut milk, two tbs. of cocoa powder, a dash of cardamom, a tsp. of cinnamon and a tiny dash of nutmeg.

The food went over very well.


As if we didn't eat enough that night, after the party we took a trip to Foodswings in Brooklyn. Foodswings is the vegan junk food capital of the world (that might not be official but I believe it to be true).
It's also a land of neutrality where vegans can take their omnivore friends to impress them with meat-emulation.

The wings are delicious and the butterfinger mlkshake is amazing.
I wouldn't suggest the chili dogs though...they were bland.

Regardless, Foodswings is a destination for any vegan (especially those who don't have many vegan eateries in their hometown)

Here is an example of what goes on at Foodswings:

3 comments:

  1. I feel like someone has to say it, so it might as well be me - STOP BEING SO AMAZING!!! You're making the rest of us look bad.

    ;)

    And also, now I'm even more upset I missed the party. Everything looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psh, Rose. Thank you but no, I am but a mere culinary neophyte.

    Yeah, you were seriously missed. Don't ever be in London again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, all of this sounds so delicious. i'm definitely going to use your recipes soon. thank you. (:

    ReplyDelete