Thursday, October 22, 2009

Köstliches Essen.

I've never made pies before. Generally, I'm intimidated by baking.

I had a day off recently and my pie adventure started when I decided that the extra apples in my kitchen weren't going to last forever.

I ended up making an apple pie with the apples, cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg and a tablespoon of the berry jam I got from Woodstock recently (featured in earlier post). It came out great but next time I'll half the whole wheat flour (I also used quinoa flour too) I used in the crust with white flour.

Regardless, it was really good for a first try and I paired it with some pomegranate chip ice cream.


I had some extra dough and I thought that maybe I'd try something else while the oven was on.

I have always loved pot pies whether I was eating Swanson pot pies when I was a kid or Amy's vegan pot pies now (which I've been noticing have disappeared from my grocery store lately). So I filled these with baby bella chunks, peas, carrots and potatoes as well as a gravy I made out of vegan butter, nooch, onions, one clove of garlic, apple juice, whole wheat flour, two tiny peices of celery and carrots. I pureed all the gravy items and then added the vegetables to the pot to cook in the gravy for a couple of minutes.

One the dough was in my pie dish I poured the gravy/veggie mixture and baked.

Oh man, it was just so good. My lover kept asking for more and more days after. It made me happy he enjoyed it so much and I certainly agreed with his enjoyment of it.


I also made this cute little pie with the last bit of extra dough. Twas adorable.

After a sleep over I made him one of our favorites: grilled avocado sandwiches. I mince and sautee some onions in the frying pan. I cut an avocado open, de-pit, salt it and lightly mash it within it's skin. Chop some tomatoes and butter one side on two pieces of toast.

Set the onions aside once they're cooked and keep the pan on. Plop the bread butter-side down on the frying pan and layer avocado, onions, nooch, tomatoes and more salt if you desire and top with the other piece of bread (butter side up). Once the bottom of the sandwich has toasted nicely carefully turn the wich over and cook the other side.

Oh meng.

2 comments:

  1. Pie-tastic!
    Damn mighty fine for a first attempt - they both look dee-lish and I love the mini pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! The mini pie was just too cute.

    ReplyDelete